For so long, facial moisturizer remained an elusive component of my skincare regimen. I was able to concoct DIYs for the many other products I make and use daily: face wash, facial oil, toothpaste, mouthwash, hand soap, even body wash. The concept of making lotion just seemed so out of my grasp. Until now! Finally, a DIY facial moisturizer recipe that I can get behind (that doesn’t contain coconut oil)!
What you need
Aloe vera gel
- Soothes, hydrates and nourishes the skin
- Helps regenerate new skin tissue
- Antioxidant properties helps skin heal
- Great for use with most skin types
- Easily absorbs into the skin without being too heavy
- Can reduce the appearance of spots and scars, and is rich in vitamins
- Penetrates deep into the skin and provides hydration
- Rich in antioxidants that fight free radicals
- Helps to restore skin elasticity
- Natural vegetable wax extracted from the Candelilla plant
- Helps to emulsify the water based aloe vera and the oils, which wouldn’t typically mix together
- You can substitute beeswax here, but double to amount to 1 tablespoon
Roman chamomile essential oil
- Soothing and calming to the skin
- Is my favorite fragrance ⏤ smells so good!
- If you don’t have roman chamomile, feel free to substitute your favorite essential oil here. Or leave it out completely if you dare!
How to make
- Add 1.5 tsp of Candelilla wax to a heat-safe mixing bowl
- Next, add 2 tbsp each of Grapeseed oil and Olive oil
- Place the mixing bowl into a pot filled half-way with water
- Turn heat to low and allow mixture to completely melt.
- Once the mixture is completely melted, remove from heat
- Slowly, add 1/3 cup of aloe vera gel in increments
- Use your hand mixer to whip to a light fluffy consistency
- Now, add 10 drops of essential oils and use your hand mixer to combine
- Transfer to your air-tight container
- All done!
Ways to use
- Use as you would any other facial moisturizer, a little goes along way so you don’t need alot!
- I keep a small amount of this out for daily use and refrigerate the rest to optimize its shelf life
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @LAurenrdaniels on Instagram and hashtag it #LAurenrdaniels