Anyone else have sensitive skin? Does coconut oil cause breakouts for anybody? (My hand is raised too Sis/Sir!) That’s why I had to switch things up and make this DIY Toothpaste without oil. My first DIY Toothpaste recipe is great and all, but the coconut oil was starting to take a toll on my face unfortunately. Hence, why this new formulation was necessary! This recipe still uses all-natural, non-toxic (with an option to add-on zero waste) ingredients. Just be sure not to use metal utensils or bowls when handling the bentonite clay. Otherwise, it’s fairly straightforward. Try it out and let me know what you think!
I am on an aloe vera kick this month! ICYMI, I made my fav Hand Sani gel not too long ago. It was a hit!
About the ingredients/supplies
- Helps prevent tooth decay
- Also helps to prevent stains and keep those chompers bright and white
- It’s alkaline and anti fungal
Aloe vera gel & juice
- Kills the bacteria that causes cavities and gingivitis
- It is also anti-flammatory
- Plus is nonabrasive and great for those of us lucky enough to have sensitive teeth
- The particular brand of aloe vera gel I used for this recipe (linked above) contains the gel and a bit of aloe vera juice as well, just make sure you get a bit of the liquid when you pour
- Absorbs and removes toxins from your mouth
- Is chock full of nourishing minerals
- Also a natural polisher
- A natural sweetener that helps to prevent tooth decay
- Enhances mineralization of tooth enamel
- Tastes yum 👅
Peppermint essential oil
- Has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and anti fungal properties
- Has cooling and soothing effects
- Is a wonderful addition to your toothpaste, provided it is safe for internal use. Please take a moment and check to make sure it is safe before adding to this recipe.
- And if by chance you are in the market for one that is, I’ve linked it above for ya!
How to make
- Mix together 4 tbsps Baking soda, 1 tbsp Xylitol and 1 tbsp Bentonite clay (and remember, no metal!)
- In a separate container, mix together 2 tbsps Aloe vera gel, 1 tsp Aloe vera juice and 10 drops of Peppermint essential oil
- Now, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients
- Stir well to combine
- Store in an air-tight container (non-metallic of course!)
How to use
- Dip my dry toothbrush into my DIY Toothpaste without oil. Just a dab’ll do ya.
- Run my dime-sized amount of toothpaste and toothbrush under the tap, just enough to moisten the bristles
- Then brush as usual!
- I repeat twice daily and then follow up with my DIY Easy Antibacterial mouthwash
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @LAurenrdaniels on Instagram and hashtag it #LAurenrdaniels