It’s that time of the year ⏤ temperatures are dropping, and it feels like everyone around you is coming down with something. The flu, common cold ⏤ insert icky sickness here 🤧 So what do I do besides staying away from the sickly (and washing my hands more frequently)? Making my DIY Easy antibacterial mouthwash is one of my best lines of defense. I know you’re wondering how the heck mouthwash is going to help? Well, it all starts with super-clean ingredients. One ingredient in particular, doTERRA OnGuard essential oil, is one I keep on-hand for protection against seasonal threats. And besides keeping my mouth in tip-top shape, it is made of a blend of essential oils that are known to have positive effects on the immune system. Don’t sleep on this blend, it has so many uses around the house. Read on to see how I use it to make my DIY Easy antibacterial mouthwash.
And don’t worry, if you don’t have any doTERRA OnGuard right now, but still want to make a killer DIY Mouthwash, don’t fret! Check out this recipe which I still use and love.
About the ingredients
doTERRA OnGuard essential oil
- Supports healthy immune and respiratory function
- Protects against environmental threats
- Supports the body’s natural antioxidant defenses
- Energizing and uplifting aroma
Himalayan pink salt
- Is alkaline and contains over 80 essential minerals
- Has antimicrobial, antibacterial and anti-fungal properties
- Is great at neutralizing acids
- Helps to remove plaque and tooth stains
- Don’t let the name scare you, Xylitol is a natural sweetener that prevents tooth decay
- It’s also great at enhancing the mineralization of our tooth enamel
- Best option for the cleanest mouthwash possible
- If you don’t have distilled water on hand, don’t fret! Filtered water is a close second
- It doesn’t contain any of the nasty minerals found in tap water
- I repurposed a maple syrup bottle for this batch, but a similar option is linked above
- Reusing containers is an easy way to be eco-friendly and lower your plastic usage
- Store-bought mouthwash typically comes in plastic that will eventually require recycling
How to make
- Remove the cap and add 1 cup of distilled water to your air-tight container
- Followed by 5 drops of doTERRA OnGuard essential oil
- And then, 1/4 tsp each of Xylitol, Himalayan pink salt and Baking soda
- Screw cap back on and shake to combine
- All done!
How to use
- Give the bottle a good shake. That will re-incorporate any ingredients that may have settled to the bottom
- Take a small sip and swish the DIY Easy antibacterial mouthwash around your mouth for 30 seconds
- This formula is actually safe enough to swallow, but that would defeat the purpose, no?
- Spit out to remove icky germs and enjoy your refreshed mouth!
- This recipe makes enough for about 1 week