Ok, so let me explain. There are quite a few DIY recipes going around the internet, and the more popular ones require grating bars of soap. First of all, that has never been appealing to me ⏤ for some reason, I’ve never really been a fan of the grater (for cheese, or for other uses). Maybe I’ve scraped my fingers once too many times! But also, I’ve heard stories of the residue that bar soap leaves behind. On your laundry, and in your washing machine. Everyone knows that residue is a resi-don’t, right?! So, to be safe, this DIY Laundry Detergent (without soap) recipe uses only the purest of ingredients, and is inspired by the one and only Ms. Molly Suds. Thank you Molly, for inspiring us to do better, and be better!
About the ingredients and supplies
- This all-purpose cleaner and deodorizer is pure, safe and natural
- Has many uses around the house, including for personal care (DIY Easy anti-bacterial mouthwash, How to make your own shower melts, How to make your own laundry scent booster ⏤ just to name a few)
- Also known as Sodium Bicarbonate
- Is a natural detergent booster and freshener
- Is a safe solution without any fumes or toxins
- Also known as Sodium Carbonate
- An important mineral that has so many health and household uses (DIY Poo pourri spray recipe, How to make your own laundry scent booster, you get the idea 😉)
- Helps to soften clothing
- Also known as Magnesium Sulfate
Himalayan pink salt
- Composed of dried remnants of the original, primal sea
- Helps to keep colors from fading and helps to lift stains
- Is alkaline and contains over 80 essential minerals
doTERRA Citrus Bliss essential oil
- Special blend containing wild orange, lemon, grapefruit, mandarin, bergamot, tangerine, clementine and a hint of vanilla
- Has cleansing, disinfecting and purifying properties
- Has a fresh, sweet scent that smells amazing!
- I love using glass containers for my DIY products, this specific container is linked above in case you want to buy one
- Making this DIY Laundry Detergent and other made-at-home products is a great way to lower your plastic usage and be more eco-friendly, since you are not only buying less products packaged in plastic, but also using more non-toxic ingredients. High five, Mother Earth!
How to make
- Open your Air-tight container and get ready to add:
- 1.5 cups each of Baking soda and Washing soda
- Next, add 1/2 cup of Epsom salt
- Then, add 1/4 cup of Himalayan pink salt
- Finally, add 30 drops of doTERRA Citrus Bliss essential oil, or your favorite essential oil(s)
- Close up your air-tight container and give it a good shake to combine
- All done!
How to use
- Add 1 heaping tablespoon in with a regular-sized laundry load
- Add 2 tablespoons in with a heavy or soiled laundry load
- Store in an air-tight container
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @LAurenrdaniels on Instagram and hashtag it #LAurenrdaniels