In the Daniels household, we make our own laundry scent booster. Why? Because the store-bought versions cause cancer. Don’t believe me? Read on this! But seriously, if you currently use them ⏤ please stop! Because cancer 😵 We can get that same sweet-smelling goodness using all-natural non-carcinogenic ingredients. Girl scout’s honor, I promise after using this, you won’t miss the store brands. It’s cheaper to make it yourself and you won’t die by using my blend. Read on to find out how I make mine!
About the ingredients/supplies
- Chemically known as Magnesium Sulfate
- Is an important mineral that has many health and beauty uses
- Is anti-fungal and pH balancing
- Often found in laundry detergents because of its deodorizing properties ⏤ great at eliminating odors
- Also great at removing stains
- A safe, all-natural fragrance
- You can customize your fragrance in scent, and in strength when you make your own scent booster at home
- I like to use Peace essential oil, which is a blend created by doTERRA (my favorite source for essential oils), but use what you like/have. This blend contains Vetiver, Lavender, Ylang Ylang, Frankincense, Clary Sage, Marjoram and Spearmint among other scents and smells oh-so-yum!
Glass air-tight container
- Did you know that essential oils are powerful enough to eat through plastic? Yup, it’s true. Sadly, that means plastic is leeching into whatever it is being contained, which is no bueno either!
- Glass is strong enough to contain essential oils without any leeching happening
- I’ve used a glass jar here, but any air-tight container will work. You could even use that glass jar from last night’s marinara sauce. Just be sure to wash it out first!
- And if you have any trouble getting that pesky label un-stuck, check out my DIY Goo Gone recipe.
How to make
- Remove the lid on your container and get ready to add:
- 1.5 cups of epsom salt
- Followed by 1/2 cup of baking soda
- Next, add 30 drops of essential oils
- Close up your container and shake to combine
- All done!
How to use
- This laundry scent booster gets more fragrant the longer it sits and the longer the epsom salt and the baking soda have a chance to soak up the essential oil goodness, so the longer you wait before use, the better!
- Ready to use? Scoop 1/4 cup in with your laundry when it’s wash time
- That’s it! Enjoy your sweet, sweet-smelling laundry!