Got a stinky garbage disposal? Allow me to introduce you to these DIY Garbage disposal pods. Super easy to make and smell oh-so-good!
What you need
- This all-purpose cleaner and deodorizer is pure, safe and natural
- Has many uses around the house, including laundry detergent, carpet deodorizer and stain removers ⏤ just to name a few
- Also commonly known as Sodium Bicarbonate
- I’ve used Himalayan pink salt here, but any salt will work here
- Has antimicrobial, antibacterial and anti-fungal properties
- I’ve used Dr. Bronner’s Sal Suds, but any dish soap will work
- I like Sal Suds since it’s all-natural and plant-based as well as non-toxic
Spearmint essential oil
- Has a fresh, minty aroma
- Bonus benefit: It naturally repels rodents and insects
Tangerine essential oil
- Has a sweet, citrusy, uplifting aroma
- Cleansing and purifying properties
How to make
- To your mixing bowl, get ready to add:
- 1 cup of Baking soda followed by 1/2 cup of Salt
- Mix these two ingredients well to combine
- Now, add 1/8 cup of Dish soap and 8 drops each of Spearmint and Tangerine essential oils
- Give everything another good mix to combine
- Next, add water 1 tablespoon at a time until the mixture resembles wet sand and holds together when you squeeze it in your hands. I used a total of 2 tablespoons
- Add the mixture to your silicone ice cube tray, being sure to tightly pack everything down
- Continue until all the mixture has been added
- Note: I tried making some pods by hand, and they stayed together just fine. They even dried faster. So if you don’t have a silicone ice cube tray you can still make this, I believe in you!
- Now comes the hard part: allow these pods to dry completely. Mine were still a bit damp even after 48 hours 😕 Of course, they still work ⏤ they were just a bit crumbly
- Once they are dry, add to an air-tight container to store
- All done!
How to use
- Run your sink faucet
- Turn on your garbage disposal
- Pop in a pod
- Enjoy your refreshed garbage disposal
- Now that you’ve conquered the DIY Garbage disposal pods, maybe it’s time to get that stainless steel to sparkle next? Try this!
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @LAurenrdaniels on Instagram and hashtag it #LAurenrdaniels