Let’s face it ⏤ we are stinky humans. We can’t help it. And life is messy sometimes. We are constantly shedding our skins and hairs. And we wear clothes that get exposed to the external environment, which we inevitably track inside our humble abodes. Every once in a while we need to clean it up and de-funktify a bit. I’ve found a way, and I want to share it with you. This DIY Carpet Cleaner solution is the solution of how to get rid of carpet odor. You’re welcome
About the ingredients/supplies
- pH balancing
- Eliminates odors
- Is anti-fungal
- Removes stains
Lemon essential oil
- Is antimicrobial, and inhibits the growth of bacteria
- Has purifying properties, and is a natural cleanser
- Well-known for its refreshing, citrusy scent
Glass jar with lid
- Using a glass jar is the best option here, not only because it’s a sustainable, eco-friendly (reusable) option, but because it’s the best way to contain essential oils and all their glory
- Don’t let the small essential oil bottle fool you ⏤ essential oils are super powerful and highly concentrated. Also powerful enough to eat through plastic, or cause plastic to leech into the solution, which is no bueno for sure.
- Opt to contain your DIY Carpet Cleaner solution in glass if possible. I’m sure you have an empty tomato sauce jar in your recycle bin that you can upcycle…
- This mesh, although completely optional, makes step 2 of How to use (scroll down for more info 👇🏾) such a breeze.
- I’ve certainly been there, attempting to pour jar contents in a steady slow stream, but being left with clumps. So many clumps. Do your best here!
- My mesh was upcycled and cut from a plastic sleeve that once contained fresh ginger roots bought at the grocery store. Check your pantry ⏤ you may have some too!
- This is probably the most important component of all since it offers an efficient way to remove the odors from the carpet.
- Actually, the baking soda is the active ingredient that traps the odors, but the vacuum does that active removing. I think the vacuum and the baking soda are tied in importance here.
- But then the Lemon essential oil and its purifying and cleansing properties is super important as well. It’s truly hard to say which ingredient/supply is most important
- With that being said, I am not sure this DIY Carpet Cleaner solution would be as effective if you are not able to vacuum it up after wards, but give it a try if you are sans vacuum and let me know it goes!
- I imagine simply shaking your carpet outside to remove the carpet cleaner solution would remove a fair amount of residue, but would not advise not vacuuming with wall-to-wall carpeting. However, feel free to prove me wrong 😏
How to make
- Remove lid from glass jar and get ready to add:
- 1 cup of Baking soda
- Followed by 25 drops of Lemon essential oil
- Add lid back on the glass jar and shake well to combine
- Let sit for 8 hours so the Lemon essential oil and Baking soda melds together
- After 8 hours, it’s ready to use (see below for more info)
How to use
- Remove the lid from the glass jar and add the mesh topper. If you don’t have a mesh topper, no worries!
- Shake the DIY Carpet Cleaner solution evenly onto your stale carpet. Be steady and apply to cover entire surface
- Now we wait! Let sit unbothered overnight or for at least 8 hours for best results
- After 8 hours, grab your vacuum. Vacuum your carpet well to collect all the solution (and the stink!)
- Your carpet will be citrusy-fresh and refreshed when you’re done! 🍋
- Now that you’ve tackled the carpet, it’s time to get your floors in order! Lucky for you I’ve created and documented my secret to getting my floors really clean — head over to find out how. I believe in you.