I’m always looking to try new things and make new recipes. This is my third tooth-related recipe to date (Take 1: DIY Natural Toothpaste recipe and take 2: DIY Toothpaste without oil)! And I’ve bought tooth powder before, wondering if it’s easy enough to make myself. I’m happy to tell you ⏤ it is! All you need are the right ingredients, and a non-metallic mixing bowl and spoon! This easy tooth powder recipe uses bentonite clay, which reacts with metals, so opt for glass, ceramic or even plastic instead.
I’ve made my share of DIY products, and the one concern that always comes up is shelf life. How long will this homemade product last? I’m happy to report that since this particular recipe is free of liquids, shelf life isn’t an issue! And you only need a tiny bit of powder to brush, so this recipe will last! Once you buy the ingredients, you can make and re-make more batches as needed.
Full disclosure, the only real issue I had with this recipe is the mess it leaves behind. Activated charcoal is black, so be prepared to have black bristles, and some residue in your sink bowl. I find it helps to get running water going in the sink before spitting and rinsing. But, if you are adverse to the mess, feel free to reduce or omit the activated charcoal altogether. Otherwise, I’m happy ⏤ this easy tooth powder recipe is eco-friendly and contains better ingredients than many store-bought varieties.
About the ingredients and supplies
- Absorbs and removes toxins from your mouth
- Is chock full of nourishing minerals
- Also a natural polisher
- Helps prevent tooth decay
- Also helps to prevent stains and keep those chompers bright and white
- It’s alkaline and antifungal
- Kills oral bacteria
- Gets rid of bad breath
- Prevents tooth decay and gum disease
- A natural sweetener that helps to prevent tooth decay
- Enhances mineralization of tooth enamel
- Tastes yum 👅
- Naturally whitens teeth
- Absorbs plaque and toxins that stain your teeth
OnGuard essential oil
- Supports healthy immune and respiratory function
- Protects against environmental threats
- Supports the body’s natural antioxidant defenses
- Energizing and uplifting aroma
How to make
- Get ready to add to your mixing bowl:
- 3 tablespoons of Bentonite clay (and remember to use a non-metal spoon)
- Next, add 1 tablespoon each of Baking soda, Cinnamon and Xylitol
- Then, add 1 teaspoon of Activated charcoal
- Lastly, add 15 drops of OnGuard essential oil
- Use a non-metal utensil to combine until well incorporated
- Add to your air-tight container
Ways to use
- Dip your dry toothbrush into the container, add water and brush as normal
- To reduce the need for cleanup, I find it helps to run the faucet before spitting and rinsing
- Your mouth will be black from the activated charcoal, so rinse well
- Don’t forget to floss!
- Finish with this easy antibacterial mouthwash
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @LAurenrdaniels on Instagram and hashtag it #LAurenrdaniels