You probably have all these ingredients already just like I did. I had no idea how easy it was to make my own DIY Goo Gone recipe, and without any of the toxic chemicals. Did you know the main ingredient in the original store-bought version is Kerosene?! 🤔Not good for our health, not good for the environment 👎🏾👎🏾This version is 100% effective with 0% of the toxicity.
About the ingredients/supplies
There is some kind of science that happens when you apply greasy oil to sticky residue. And when it is paired with gritty baking soda ⏤ magic happens.
Just the right amount of grit to get the job done ⏤ baking soda is the abrasive that sends your goo packing. I like to wipe my DIY Goo Gone recipe with a dry cloth, otherwise the baking soda dissolves when liquid is added and we don’t want that! We want it to stay dry and effective.
Lemon essential oil
The concentrated acidic citrus is definitely the active ingredient here, it breaks down the sticky with it’s all-natural plant power.
I’ve repurposed an old glass jar to store my DIY Goo Gone recipe, if you don’t have anything handy, you can order something similar to mine (linked above 👆🏾)
How to make
- To a small mixing bowl, get ready to add:
- 1/4 cup baking soda and 1/4 cup coconut oil
- Next, add 12 drops of Lemon essential oil
- Give it a good mix to combine
- Now, transfer to your air-tight storage container
How to use
- I apply generously to the sticky surface and let set for 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes, I wipe clean with a dry towel
- The baking soda will settle to the bottom, be sure to give the mixture a good stir before each use
- I’ve used my DIY Goo Gone recipe to remove stubborn adhesive left behind by sticky labels and also to destroy gunk on bakeware and even caked-on food bits. Get creative, there are many ways to put it to good use!