We all grew up on it ⏤ you know the stuff… It went under your nose, on your chest, or on the bottoms of your feet whenever sick time came. We didn’t question it, we knew it was coming. But now that we’re older (and wiser), we know better. Ditch the chemicals that have been linked to skin irritation and cancer, and use this easier, safer dupe instead. My recipe uses all-natural and plant-based ingredients, which offer many benefits and none of the risks. Scroll down to make my better than Vicks Vapor Rub!
And, if you’re still under the weather, don’t fret ⏤ I’ve got just the remedies for you! This natural cold remedy does the trick every time. And these are the plant-based pills I take ⏤ safe, with no nasty side effects. And, if you need to get the mucus out asap, my shower melts are what you need. You’re welcome 😉
About the ingredients/supplies
This post contains affiliate links. This means I may earn a commission should you chose to make a purchase using my link.
- All-natural and non-toxic, unlike the petroleum found in store-bought brands
- It’s antibacterial, antiviral and antimicrobial properties prevent the spreading of germs and bacteria
- Rich in vitamin E, antioxidants and fatty acids, it works to reduce inflammation and protect from free radicals
- It solidifies at colder temperatures, and holds it shape long enough for application, but then melts into the skin easily
- Promotes clear breathing and open airways
- Loosens and expels mucus
- Promotes feelings of relaxation
- Soothes muscle pain
- Speeds up healing time
- Has cooling and soothing effects
- Is a calming pain reliever
- Has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal properties
- I’ve repurposed an old glass spice jar, but if you don’t have anything handy, you can order something similar (linked here)
- I often repurpose old bottles and jars for my DIY products and cleaners, which is an easy way to be more eco-friendly. Removing old product stickers and labels used to be quite the chore ⏤ but now it’s a breeze when I use my DIY Goo Gone to get the annoying sticky residue off.
How to make
- Add 1/2 cup of coconut oil to a bowl. Pro tip: I refrigerated my bowl and spatula for 15 minutes prior to making, so the coconut oil stays closer to a solid consistency
- Next, add 20 drops of Eucalyptus essential oil and 10 drops of Peppermint essential oil
- Stir to combine
- Transfer to an air-tight container
- Your better than Vicks Vapor Rub is done!
How to use
- Store in a cool, dry place between uses
- Apply to the chest and bottoms of feet for relief
- Note: these ratios are great for adults and children over 10 years old ⏤ for the younger ones, make sure to use less essential oils. 4 drops of Eucalyptus and no drops of Peppermint essential oil instead.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @LAurenrdaniels on Instagram and hashtag it #LAurenrdaniels