If you buy fresh fruit and don’t refrigerate it, likely it will attract fruit flies ⏤ it’s only natural! Darn it, those little buggers enjoy the sweetness of fruit just like we do. No one should have to suffer; here’s an easy way to make an effective fruit fly trap at home and get rid of fruit flies. Recipe and links to everything I used are below as well. You’re welcome 😉
While you’re here, perhaps you are also curious how to make your own surface cleaner, DIY Lysol or hand sanitizer. Heck, with all the viruses going around I don’t blame you! No worries, I’ve got you covered!
About the ingredients/supplies
This post contains affiliate links. This means I may earn a commission should you chose to make a purchase using my link.
- I use Sal Suds not only because it’s all-natural and highly-concentrated, but it’s also biodegradable and good for the environment, unlike other dish soaps
- Any dish soap you have at home will work here
- This ingredient is what attracts the fruit flies to the trap, so this is a crucial ingredient!
- Make sure yours contains ‘the mother’
- I have coconut sugar at home, since it is less processed than regular sugar
- Any powdered sugar or syrup will work, so use what you have
- Helps to combine all our ingredients
- Tap water is also fine to use
- I used a bowl, but feel free to use a container that works for your situation
- In my experience, creating a lidded solution isn’t necessary ⏤ once the fruit flies take a taste, it’s game over!
How to make
- Add 1 tbsp of dish soap, apple cider vinegar and sugar along with 1/2 cup of water to your container
- Stir to combine
- Place container near the fruit, or items attracting fruit flies
- Watch with merriment as fruit flies continue to collect
- Empty when liquid evaporates and repeat to make a new batch as needed
- Now that you have learned how to get rid of fruit flies, consider sharing this page with a friend. No one who enjoys fruit should have to suffer from fruit fly infestations.
- Spread the word and help a friend.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @LAurenrdaniels on Instagram and hashtag it #LAurenrdaniels